The power of 20 minute morning workouts
I’m sure you’ve all heard that morning exercise is the best time to exercise for energy.
You may also have heard over the past 18 months about the benefits of high intensity training. In this article I’m going to explain why I swear by 20-minute morning workouts and how some of these workouts should be high intensity to maximise your results.CALORIE BURNING
So first off the benefits of morning exercise; I always say that 20 minutes of exercise in the morning is worth an hour of exercise in the evening, here is why:
1.THE GOLDEN RULE WITH EXERCISE IS CONSISTENCY
Research shows morning exercisers are far more consistent than those who exercise lunchtimes or evenings. This means that over the course of time you will be exercising more regularly and therefore getting better results
2.MORNING EXERCISE IS A GREAT START TO THE DAY
After being asleep all night, morning exercise kick starts your energy for the day.
You will notice a big difference in your energy levels on the days when you exercise in the mornings versus the days you don’t
3.BURN MORE CALORIES.
Morning exercise will have you burning far more calories than exercise in the middle and especially at the end of the day. The reason for this is morning exercise will kick start your metabolism (which is your internal machine) for the day and you will be getting that all day calorie burning effectCALORIE BURNING
THE IMPORTANT THING IS TO HAVE THE INTENTION TO DO SOMETHING EVERY MORNING. THIS COULD BE A FAST 20-MINUTE WALK TO WORK, 20 MINUTES OF YOGA AT HOME OR ONE OF THE 20 MINUTE ROUTINES BELOW. BY AIMING FOR SOMETHING EVERY MORNING, YOU REALLY BUILD THIS INTO YOUR DAILY ROUTINE, THEREBY CREATING A HABIT.
IF YOU MISS ONE OR TWO DAYS PER WEEK- NO PROBLEM, JUST KEEP GOING THE FOLLOWING WEEK.
1. The fact is that one of the biggest reasons people find regular exercise a challenge is time! Therefore 20 minutes is an achievable amount of time for most people each day
2. With the extra benefits associated with morning exercise, 20 minutes allows you to achieve great results
3. 20-minute workouts can be performed without a gym, thereby saving you extra travel time in the morning
Here are two examples of 20-minute high intensity cardio based morning workouts:
• 20 minutes interval training run or cycle
• One minute fast, then one minute medium/slow. Alternate for 20 minutes
Note: for the one minute fast, you want to go at a pace that by the end of one minute you can’t do much more
• 20 minutes high intensity training run or cycle
• 20 seconds super hard then 60-90 minutes slow. Alternate for 20 minutes
Note: for the 20 seconds hard, you want to go at a pace that by the end of the 20 seconds you can’t do much more
HERE ARE TWO EXAMPLES OF 20- MINUTE HIGH INTENSITY RESISTANCE BASED MORNING WORKOUTS
• 20 squats
• 20 press ups (have your knees on the floor if you need to)
• 20 abdominal crunches
• 20 squats super slow & low
• 20 bent over row with weights or a rubber band/tube
• 20 lunges alternate leg
• 20 abdominal side twists
Note: the key with the resistance workouts is to keep moving from one exercise to the next. This will keep your heart rate high and maximise your results.
Consult an exercise expert before you start any exercise programme. Always listen to your body and adjust your intensity accordingly.