Are You a Slave to Technology? It's Messing With Your Health and Energy!
Technology is making our life so much better isn't it?
Well the answer is yes and no; yes there are continuous advancements in technology that are making our lives easier and better. BUT when it comes to our day to day health and energy, technology has a lot to answer for. In truth we can't completely blame technology, as we are the users in charge.
In what seems like a very short period of time i.e. the last 15 years we have gone from relatively low technology use to a relentless non stop exposure.
Here are some of the key ways this is messing with our health and energy:
- We are constantly glued to our phones, tablets, laptops and computers; this continuous exposure to technology is burning us out like an overused computer that is never switched off
- Technology stimulates our nervous system and this continual stimulation is negatively affecting our energy. This wouldn't be as big a problem but for the volume of time we spend with technology and the lack of calming activities in our lives
- The exposure to technology in the evening, especially the last hour before bed, makes it harder to fall off to sleep and crucially affects the quality of sleep
- The addiction to always being online creates mental stress and anxiety. Many of us are continually sending out messages via text, email, facebook, twitter, pinterest, instagram and more. Proof of this is a staggering 90% of the world's data has been produced in the past two years
- The continuous use of technology is negatively affecting our posture, especially for the millions now using laptops for work
Technology isn't going away, so what can we do?
As with everything in the world of health and energy it comes down to this simple question "what are your daily habits?"
The more of the good habits you have in your life, the better your health and energy. Equally the more of the bad habits you have, the worse your energy will be. It really is that simple.
So here are 7 positive technology use habits for great health and energy:
- Avoid all technology for your first hour or even two (yes two) after waking. Use this first hour or two to set your day up for health, energy and success. Four positive morning habits; 1. TM meditation as soon as you wake. 2. Twenty minutes or more of morning exercise 3. A high energy breakfast containing a slow release carbohydrate and protein food. 4. Plan your day, list your top 3 must do's for your day
- Avoid all technology for your last hour before sleep. This will improve the quality of your sleep and consequently your energy for the following day
- Always take your lunch break away from your laptop or computer and when you take that break avoid all technology i.e. your phone and tablet
- Give yourself at least one technology free period (ideally 30-60 minutes) each day, for example when you do your daily exercise, or your journey to and from work
- Unless you have to do it as part of your job, keep social media to a minimum. Real life is far more fun.
- If you use a laptop for work make sure you have a riser and separate keyboard, set this up so you can sit upright with your eyes in line with the top of your laptop screen
- Calm your nervous system down from all the technology stimulation, the 3 best for this are; 1. Sitting in a quiet place listening to relaxing music 2. Meditation 3. Being close to nature i.e. by the sea, in a forest, in the countryside, in a park, at home in front of an open fire.
There's no running from it, technology is here to stay. BUT you can take charge of how you interact with technology, without being its slave.